The family of the Sunshine Coast mother and daughter who mysteriously died less than a day into their Bali holiday fear Indonesian authorities may cover up the reason for their deaths.
Noelene Bischoff and her daughter Yvana Jeana Yuri Bischoff, 14, died at the start of their 15-day adventure on the Indonesian holiday island.
Local police speculated food poisoning was to blame, although the managers of two restaurants in Bali where the mother and daughter dined have said the pair suffered an allergic reaction.
Hospital staff have said toxic fish may have caused their deaths.
The Bischoff family has denied the pair had allergies, adding that Noelene, 54, loved seafood
Food safety consultant and microbiologist Dr Patricia Desmarchelier said it was an unusual case, but it was possible the pair may have died from toxic fish, including a condition known as ciguatera poisoning.
Ciguatera poisoning is contracted by eating warm water ocean finfish, like mahi mahi, that carry the ciguatera toxin produced by a tiny organism attached to algae.
SMH- with Amilia Rosa, Esther Han and AAP
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/bali-deaths-family-of-noelene-bischoff-and-daughter-reject-autopsy-20140106-30dgy.html#ixzz2pfQDa3Sr
In Australia it is your legal responsibility as a food business to ensure that the food you sell is free from contamination?
it is a national requirement that food businesses implement an approved food safety plan that identifies potential hazards and implemented controls to prevent food contamination.
Food Poisoning resulting in death, can lead to prosecution with large court costs and fines and potential manslaughter charges.
As part of your food Safety plan it is best practice to protect you business against potential prosecution by using approved suppliers with a guarantee of safety recorded within your food safety plan. Refer to Food Standards 1.4.4 and 1.4.1.
Recent australian prosecutions making headlines in June, 2013 an Adelaide Woolworths supermarket was fined $208,000 for selling food past its use-by date. The supermarket was found in breach of food safety codes 1.2.5 set forth by the Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Commission. According to Australian law, this breach of code can result in fines up to $250,000 total.
Then in the same month Conroy’s Smallgoods, pleaded guilty to four breaches of hygiene and were fined $80,000.
This breaches were detected during a random audit by Primary Industries and Resources SA in February last year.
Can you afford the cost of the fines as well as the damage to your brand and loss of sales?
You can purchase a REFSS Food Safety Plan from $ 440+GST annually.
Online courses are available from $25 + GST in 'Basic Food Safety' and from $115 + GST to qualify a 'Food Safety Supervisor' for your business.