Child sickened; Sydney company fined $48K + $21K for failing to declare allergen in cakes
Doug Powell- Barfblog
- Sunfield Australia sold cakes containing nut and egg that were not declared on the label.
- Child suffered allergic reaction
- Cake manufacturer Sunfield Australia and its Director fined $48,000 plus $21,000 in costs
- Repeated breaches in 2006 (undeclared walnuts), March 2010 (undeclared nuts), August 2010 (undeclared egg)
- “The importance of that label cannot be underestimated, for some people it can literally be a matter of life and death.”
Protect you business with a legally compliant Food Safety Plan and Allergen Awareness Course.